Monday, February 07, 2011

Belly Good @ Sunway Mentari, PJ

Well priced porky food in the Sunway Mentari area :) ....

A friend brought me to one of his favourite porky places (which I think was formerly known as Wendy's Bistro), located in the Sunway Mentari area - a bustling shoplot area just opposite Sunway Pyramid, filled with food places:
(There are quite a lot of popular/"famous" all you can eat Steamboat restaurants in this vicinity)
Just outside Belly Good....

Inside, it's a simple set up but fairly comfortable. It is also very very popular with families and people living in the area and is full on most nights, so please do book a table or risk being turned away:
(We saw at least 3 sets of people being turned away that night)
Inside the restaurant....

Scanning the menu, I saw the Portabello Bacon Cheese (RM 16.80++) and just had to have it:
Inside the restaurant....

I found it just a bit oily but otherwise, I enjoyed this dish - the mushroom was pretty sizeable and meaty with an evident earthy aroma that was not overpowering, complemented well by the savoury cheese and bacon bits.

For our mains we had the Pork Bolognese (RM 25.80++):
Porky pasta....

The pasta didn't taste authentically Italian but was pretty yummy anyway, in a wholesome homecooked way - the chunky savoury sauce went well with the spaghetti, especially with some parmesan sprinkled on top.

We also shared the Pork Belly (RM 27.90++) which is considered to be one of the specialties:
Our platter of pork....

The meat was tender enough (although not quite "melt in mouth") and fairly well marinated. Still, I thought it tasted good considering the price - very worth it for < 30 bucks:
Cross section of the pork....

To end the night we had the Chocolate Brownie (RM 12.90++):
Chocolate dessert....

I really liked that it wasn't too sweet and had a nice light but moist texture,... just would have liked it to be a bit more chocolatey. Still, it went well with the vanilla ice cream and felt like a pretty guilt free way to end the night so I enjoyed it. :)

Overall, I have to admit that I didn't exactly get my socks knocked off but I thought that it tasted nice considering the very reasonable prices - wouldn't mind going back to try out the sausages and pork burger which I hear are yummy.

So it's: Simple ambience, friendly service, decent range of porky food at reasonable prices BUT nothing bad really - just that the service can be a biiiittttt slow when it gets packed. :).....


Restaurant Review
Summary Sheet:


Belly Good @ Sunway Mentari, PJ
20, Jalan PJS 8/18, Sunway Mentari, 46150 Petaling Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia

Taste: 6
Ambience : 6
Service : 6
Price** : RM 50/++ per person
Parking: OK

** Approximation - 3 course meal, excluding drinks
Telephone No.: 03-5630 1699
Opening Hours: 11am to 11pm (Closed on Mondays)

NON HALAL



MAP:

View Larger Map

OTHER REVIEWS:
- Tracy Chef's Wife
- Lots Of Cravings
- Places and Foods.com
- Fondue of Life
- omoshiroi.org

TAGS: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 comments:

  1. good to know its still alright, i heard of some owner changes and some ups and downs about the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place's name always gives me a bit of a giggle. I kinda think of bellydancing :D Only been here once when it was formerly wendy's... Should make a revisit, I kinda remember a decent experience too the last time =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. cannot look at evil food now. Hahaha. Will try it one day when my "fats" quota goes down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belly Good my dear.. belly, belly good!

    Even better when you work it off in the JIIM:P teehee

    Gong Xi Fa Chai! Happy New Year to you and family:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The post-CNY guilt shadow has descended upon me!! I feel terrible even opening my mouth consuming thin air! Hope CNY was a blast for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. to Joe who is constantly craving:
    The food is definitely ok/nice for the price... :)

    to Sean:
    LOL.
    That'd be an interesting restaurant - belly dancers sashaying and jiggling around while you are served.

    to qwazymonkey:
    I know how you feel.
    *looks down sadly at suddenly very much expanded tummy flabs*

    to Ciki:
    Ho ho ho. :D
    Belly good indeed.
    *jiggling belly fats*
    (lol. Gong xi fa cai to you too. :) See you in gym tonight!)

    to minchow:
    CNY has been slothful and gluttonous so far! Which is good but oh so bad! :)
    (Its "only once a year" though so it's ok, right? Too bad too many other festivities are only once a year too. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope there will come a time that I will visit this place. Everything in here looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. to amish baby cribs:
    Well, I hope you will enjoy it very much when you do visit there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate your thoughts, opinions and feedback. :)