Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Oh Malaya Cafe @ Central Market Annexe KL

(Oops. Slightly delayed review) A modern cafe just behind Central Market....

That night, we were going to watch Torch Song Massacre at the Annexe Gallery, KL, so we decided to head over to that general area a little earlier to have dinner.

SooJ suggested a cafe he tried before in the Central Market Annexe (the small building just behind the Central Market) where the Annexe Gallery is also located:
OM Cafe in the upstairs corner lot of Central Market Annexe ...

Overall, the interior of Oh Malaya Cafe (aka. OM Cafe) is modern and comfortable with quirky decorations placed on the walls (eg. signs of old brands/ products):
Inside OM Cafe ...

SooJ did warn me not to expect anything extraordinary tastewise, but that they do have a decent range of reasonably priced Western and local food there.

Needing some comfort food, we started off with the Oxtail Soup (RM 9++):
The Soup ...

Annoyingly, the soup arrived when we were halfway through our mains*... but other than that MINOR detail, it tasted ok - the soup was robust (good) but a bit too starchy (bad).
(*I suspect they forgot to put in the order - we had to remind them twice and finally they checked properly and said it was "on the way"... *sigh*)

I chose the Fillet of Beef with Mushroom Sauce (RM 33++) as my main:
My Beef ...

This also just tasted ok - the beef wasn't tough but it wasn't exactly tender either.. and the sauce was kinda gloopy.

SooJ's Sizzling Lamb Chop in Black Pepper Sauce (RM 30++) was pretty good though:
The Lamb ...

Yum. The meat was surprisingly tender and tasty...
:)
(Personally, I still dislike sizzling anything - hate walking around smelling like food later....)

Lastly, I tried the Lychee Martini (RM 23++):
Lychee+alcohol= :) ...

Not bad - Not too sweet, and had a good enough alcoholic kick to it.

We had to go off for the show, so we didn't manage to sample any desserts...

Oh well, there's always next time I guess - I think I spotted a few interesting items on the menu (Bombe Alaska?), so I am kinda curious.
:)


So, it's: Nice modern ambience, convenient location if you are going for a show in the Annexe Gallery, good selection of Asian and Western food at reasonable prices BUT surrounding area can be quite jammed and food only tastes ok.....


Restaurant Review
Summary Sheet:

Oh Malaya Cafe @ Central Market Annexe, KL

Lot 2.07, Central Market Annexe, Jalan Hang Kasturi, 50050 KL

Taste: 6
Ambience : 6
Service : 5
Price** : RM 40++ per person
Parking: OK***

** Approximation - 3 course meal, excluding drinks
***Or you can take an LRT to Pasar Seni and cross the road - no jam!...

Telephone No.: 03-2072 7700
Opening Hours: 11am - 10pm

NO PORK SERVED



OTHER REVIEWS:
- Seeking Restaurants


TAGS: , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 comments:

  1. oooh, a place at central market that serves booze (and reasonably priced too)! that's the best incentive to head here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. been ages since i've been anywhere near central market- this place looks decent and clean :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a name... Wonder why they put the "Oh" at the front. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm cafe serve martini... :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not been to the area in a while. But you are soo right, traffic in that area is bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuckles! Have walked past it, but never been inside, Have not fully discovered Chinatown yet. If I need a break from the filth and squalor around that area, I know where to go now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. to Sean:
    Very reasonable pricing and quite a good list of cocktails/ booze too...

    ... Just be careful what you order (food) and you shouldn't end up disappointed. :)

    to sc:
    It's definitely a comfortable place to dine if you r in the area and don't feel like having the usual hawker/ roadside food.

    to jason:
    Haha.. Ya loh.
    Funny name, right?

    to babe_kl:
    Good for (borderline) alcoholics like me! Haha....

    to UnkaLeong:
    I have too many bad memories of being stuck in TERRIBLE traffic jams when I was still working in KL. Now I am so thankful I am out of that area! :)

    to Paranoid Android:
    Some of the best food in KL is hidden amongst the filth and squalor though! But yeah,.. we all need a comfortable refuge to recharge some times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very adventurous huh?? Central Market will never cross my mind in a million years if I were looking for food :)
    By the way, out of topic.. I couldn't find the place to eat the Sang Har Meen that you posted a while back in Pelangi Damansara. What is the name of the restaurant again?? And also please provide some landmark for easier search :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. to thule aka leo:
    The name of the Sang Har Mein place is Palm Spring Kopitiam (here is the link to my post)...

    (Hopefully) Better than giving a few landmarks, I have emailed a rough map to your gmail. Hope it helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello there thanks for your grat post, as usual ((o:

    ReplyDelete
  11. to Anonymous:
    Oh, no problem - It's my pleasure. :)
    (Just glad that you enjoy it...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe you'll want to add a facebook button to your site. I just marked down this blog, but I must do it by hand. Simply my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate your thoughts, opinions and feedback. :)