Monday, December 21, 2009

Char Kuey Teow @ Restoren Seng Lee, Damansara Heights, KL

Short post on CKT - a classic Malaysian dish...

I had heard that Seng Lee on Jalan Batai in the Damasara Heights area is considered one of the "famous" places in KL for good Char Kuey Teow so understandably, my expectations were a little high when I went there:
Inside Seng Lee.....

Sitting in the rustic little coffeeshop, I didn't have to wait too long till the steaming hot plate of CKT (around RM4?) arrived at my table:
A plate of carby sin.....

Unfortunately, it went a bit downhill from there. :(

Although the CKT looked great, the noodle texture was a little too soft for my liking, and prawns were not really that fresh... :( :(

Still, overall I guess it tasted ok.... there was a bit of "wok hei" and the taugeh were really plump and fresh. And erm... that's about it really.
(Aiyo. How lah? This is the first quite bad review I've given for a while now....)
(If you didn't already know, I really don't like giving bad reviews....)

So, it's: OK tasting char kuey teow BUT does not live up to hype....


Summary Information:
Seng Kee @ Jalan Batai, Medan Damansara, KL

Opening Hours: 10am - 3pm. Closed on Sundays
Phone: -
Address: Jalan Batai, Medan Damansara, KL

NOT HALAL



OTHER REVIEWS:
- KY Speaks
- Eating Asia
- Masak-Masak
- Kampung Boy City Gal


TAGS: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 comments:

  1. Hate those soft, un-fresh prawns frozen for so long. Rather have them omitted than spoiling the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really like Seng Kee's CKT. It's just alright for me. Come I bring you go try a nicer CKT in Section 17! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hawker food like this is about convenience :) I never expect too much from hawker food in KL except for when I go to Penang!

    ReplyDelete
  4. to J2Kfm:
    Ya loh. :(
    But unfortunately, we usually have to find out the hard way whether or not it's fresh (ie. after biting into it)....

    to Ciki:
    I love CKT too but it's gotta be yummy enough to justify the sin! :)

    to Bangsar-bAbE:
    Ooh.. Which coffee shop is it in? I don't mind meeting for lunch one day. :) :)

    to thule a.k.a leo:
    Haha...
    Yeah, it's sad but true - Very few places in KL can match up the the original places (whether Penang or Ipoh etc etc)....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no ... how dissapointing. Thought this was supposed to be "LEGENDARY"

    Cheers J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Say Huat in Section 17. Can can...meet for lunch one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. to Julian Si:
    Oh well, I guess some things just don't live up to the hype. :)
    (IMHO anyway - Best for you to try it yourself to judge by your own tastebuds)

    to Bangsar-bAbE:
    Yay! Aiks - I don't have your phone number worr.... Have emailed you to your gmail already...

    ReplyDelete
  8. In defense of the legendary CKT at Batai - i think it's important to note that the original "si fu" has retired and it's a new kid on the block that's char-ing the KT.

    Don't know how soft it was when you ate it but the original one was always on the softer/damper side and relatively lighter in colour (as opposed to the more typical dry and darker coloured ones). The prawns were also always large, fresh and juicy too!

    sorry la....i know you weren't impressed. other friends have lamented that it isn't the same as before too. but it really was one of my favourite places for CKT for the longest time (my dad has been going there for almost 20 years!) and i feel i need to do the old man and his reputation some justice...

    not being able to eat his brand of CKT really does bring a tear to my eye... =(

    ReplyDelete
  9. to J:
    Aww... that's sad. :(
    Hopefully the new kid bucks up ASAP!
    (Erm... but I think no matter what his skill level, the prawns plainly could have been fresher....)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh but good news! my friend just told me that the old si fu foes back there on saturdays to fry his KT!

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha.. its good to be honest tho of how u feel..its not tht we foodies like to give bad reviews but if its bad, better warn us all! I do appreciate the heads up! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  12. to j:
    Oh, that is very good news indeed - thanks for sharing. :)
    I guess I'll be one of the ppl fighting for a table to get a taste of the original CKT on Saturdays! Haha....

    to thenomadGourmand:
    True - if everyone shared their 2 cents then at least the general public will get a good feel of the average consensus when they try to Google the restaurant/ food....
    :)
    .... but still, I always feel so bad when I don't have many/any nice things to say....
    :( :(

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate your thoughts, opinions and feedback. :)