Wednesday, May 09, 2007

To The Max!

One of the latest additions to gastronomic landscape of the Tengkat Tong Shin area....

Hmmmm,.... I seem to be going to the Tengkat Tong Shin/ Bukit Ceylon area quite a lot for dinner these days - I hope that you all are not bored already!
:)

This time, we tried out a fairly new restaurant which has opened up (somewhere opposite Frangipani) called Max! Kitchen and Wine....

The Dinner

This fusion restaurant is split into 2 levels in a cosy shophouse in the main Tengkat Tong Shin area:
Restaurant interior....

I liked the simple and modern finishings there...
Although the restaurant area is actually pretty small inside, they have taken care not to have the tables too close to each other so it doesn't feel cramped at all.
(There are also a few tables outside for open air dining)

Maybe I'm easily amused but I liked the small touches there like the unusual plates that they used. Sneexe liked them very much too - here she is showing her plate off:

So cute....! :)

The menu at Max! is actually fairly limited but everything sounds really delicious. After some deliberation, we chose the Mushroom Salad and the Seared Tuna to start off our dinner:
The Seared Tuna and the Mushroom Salad....

I liked the Salad as the Mushrooms were nice: they were lightly grilled and bursting with flavour - paired well with the fresh greens and simple dressing.
(P complained that it's not really worth the price - approx. 20 bucks - but hey, Porcini mushrooms are expensive lah)

The Seared Tuna was also nice: The thick tuna slices were very fresh and had been seared ever so lightly - leaving it tender and juicy and was served with a nice sauce which had a sour tang to it.
(I usually hate the taste and texture of raw fish/ sashimi but somehow this was ok)

As for the mains, we tried the Braised Wagyu Beef, the Cod with Orange Sauce and the Lamb Cutlets:

Clockwise from top: The Lamb, the Fish and the Beef....

Overall, all the mains were nice.
(The prices are not cheap but the serving sizes are ok)

The Cod was interesting - the creamy sauce had a hint of orange flavour that went well with the succulent fish.

The Lamb Cutlets were tender and tasty - lamb lovers should definately not miss out on trying this! P (who's a lamb addict) really liked this dish and I could only manage to coerce him to let me have 2 bites.
:(

As for the dish I had - the Wagyu beef - it was good but not great.
I think I was expecting too much because all this time I have heard stories on how Wagyu is the most (expensive and) tender beef in the world - so tender that it will just melt in your mouth. Still, it was pretty tender (although it did not "melt in my mouth") and I wouldn't mind ordering it again if I have RM60++ to spare.

We were there to celebrate Al's birthday that night so I didn't try any of the desserts.
(Sorry - had to leave some room in my tummy for the birthday cake)
:)

So, it's: Tasty food, good serving size for the price, attentive and friendly waiters, cosy dining area BUT small selection of food and wine.

Restaurant Review
Summary Sheet:

Max! Kitchen and Wines @ Tengkat Tong Shin, KL

Taste: 7
Ambience : 7
Service : 7
Price** : RM70++ per person
Parking: Difficult

** Approximation - 3 course meal, excluding drinks
Telephone No.: 03-2141 8115
Opening Hours: Mondays to Fridays: 11am to 3pm, 6pm till late, Sat to Sun: 6pm till late

NO PORK SERVED



TAGS: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 comments:

  1. O_o another review @ max! omg, i can't wait anymore.... hopefully to be @ max this friday night! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was once told the reason wagyu beef just melts in your mouth is because it's just so full of fats hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me like-o seared tuna
    yum =)

    thanks for the wagyu.. next time try it steak style at prime.. hahaha =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. dis is definitely a very nice place..hmm the wagyu seems very overrated for me after the 1st time..mainly i think we r so overhyped by it..when u finally have it..its actually "oh"..

    ReplyDelete
  5. to meiyen:
    Well, you can go there with your darling to celebrate your engagement!
    :)

    to merv:
    What?
    Hmmm, that's strange.
    Can't seem to hear/ read what you're saying.
    :P

    to soojc:
    Me too!
    (Tuna was yummy)
    :)
    Wagyu at Prime?
    Well, I'm looking forward to trying a few bites off your plate but I don't think I have so much money to burn on one meal lah.
    :(

    to "joe" who is constantly craving:
    Yeah....
    That's the feeling I got too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. show me your face plate leh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. to wuching:
    My plate is the other red coloured one.
    :)
    ... but I'm not holding it up - sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate your thoughts, opinions and feedback. :)